I admit it. I love my coffee, espresso and tea.

Pull up a chair and stay a while.

Here, I will provide reviews of many of the green beans we roast, the teas we brew, companies we order from and costs involved.

Roast, brew, relax, sip and enjoy. Repeat.>

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Getting down to the basics

Of coffee roasting that is.
When I first read about roasting your own green coffee beans I was intrigued.  My first reaction was "well, how hard could it be? Just heat them up, toast them or whatever and you are done right?"
I was actually pretty far off.  Roasting beans, like making bread, cheese, or making wine is almost a creative art form.  And to make things a bit more interesting, roasting times vary depending on the bean you are roasting and how you typically like your cup of coffee.
As time goes on you do get better and better at it but there is a bit to learn ahead of time. 
Now, let me just say, this process is not so difficult to learn.  Even for someone completely new to it.  We have yet to have our beans that are roasting catch on fire and we have been roasting our beens since December.  We have had smoke alarms go off in the house but we've just gotten around that by moving the Roaster outdoors. 
One of the most useful things you can do besides deciding on what kind of roaster to purchase and then deciding on what kind of beans you would like to try would be to simply familiarize yourself with many of the terms that are used in roasting your own beans. As I do reveiws you will hear me mention terms like "first crack" or "second crack" or even "Full City" or "Italian or Espresso roast". 
So, I have posted here, a link to where you can read more about the different stages of roasting as well as what to expect during roasting.
Another great way to familiarize yourselve with the process of roasting your beans is to simply pick up a book from Amazon. 

I will try to put a video here and there as we roast beans, but unfortunately I do not own superior video equipment so the quality won't be that great.  
So stay tuned and reviews on our most recent purchase will be following shortly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment